Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Tripe: Italian for projectile vomiting.

Note to self: If the Biliotti's give you something that looks unfamiliar, always ask what it is BEFORE eating...

So, the other night Christy was late for dinner because of classes, so there I am, just hanging with the Biliotti fam, and Mauro dishes up something that looks like noodles in red sauce onto my plate. He has discovered that I will try anything he gives me, so he occasionally tries out Florentine 'delicacies' on me before feeding them to Christy. This was one such occasion. I load up my fork and take an enormous bite without further questioning. I instantly realize this is not noodles. The texture is spongy, almost like calamari, but they left an after taste as though they went bad. Yesterday. I finally get enough of it down to ask Mauro what I am eating to which he replies: "It is a Florentine delicacy. You like?" And I have to say yes. So he says "Good! It is cow stomach." At that point I should have projectile vomited. But, I managed to swallow enough wine to dissolve the taste. But not the visual. So, then, I email my mom to tell her of the tragedy and she tells me tripe is actually cow intestine. Apparently, Mauro got his body parts mixed up. Either way, don't eat the tripe. It may be a delicacy, but I can't do it!!

1 comment:

colleen.shattuck said...

this from the girl who ate a roasted guinea pig in So America?