Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm Amazed...

I have enjoyed my first week of classes very much. Tomorrow I will go to my last class of the week and then being to enjoy the weekend. Although I do have lots of assignments to work on. My professors are all amazing and speak pretty good English, which is good for me. And, although the hours are long, I really don't mind it, because I can look out a window and see that I am in Italy!

Last Sunday, we had a great day spending it with Loriana and Mauro. I attended catholic mass with Loriana. Every catholic family in Italy has a church they attend based on where they live, and even though Mauro calls himself 'agnostic,' it is easy to see he still takes pride in 'his' church, considering it was one of the first places he showed Christy and I on our tour. The Biliotti's church, Santa Trinita was a beautiful old church with frescos, statues, and altarpieces dating back to the Renaissance and before. It was very surreal to be sitting in a church only to look over and see a fresco I had been studying all of last semester! Later on that evening, Christy and I went and visited our friends who live in an apartment building next to a different church, San Lorenzo. The view from up there at night was perfect. The church was lit up, and the piazza below was full of bustling restaurants.

On Monday night, Christy and I decided to have an 'Italian experience,' so we bought gelato and ate it on the Ponte Vecchio while watching the most beautiful sunset. Followed by a great rainstorm. While huddling for warmth and trying to stay out of the rain, we met a couple from California who was studying in Rome. It’s funny how easily you strike up conversations here when in the states, I wouldn’t talk to stranger if I didn’t have to. It’s almost like all the American’s are reaching out just to find someone else who speaks English…

I’m amazed at how quickly I can get into a routine here. I get up, go to class, come home, eat tripe, all as though it is what I have been doing my whole life. I am finally comfortable enough to venture out in the city alone, since I now know my way around, and I am comfortable enough to leave my map at home. (Some days.) Today, after classes, I went and sat in Cascine Park and read a book while people watching. It’s such a beautiful park and a great way to get away from all the noise. In the mornings, I like to go running there, but it was most fun just to sit and be still for a while. And, it was fantastic to get away from the traffic noise and hear birds again. Hmmm…I kind of feel a song coming on (“When the hustle and bustle of Houston, starts getting to me, I put myself in my pick-up truck and head out to Wimberley…”) Sorry, bad song…if you have seen the Star of the Hills (A fabulous play about my hometown) now this song will be stuck with you all day. Anyways, I may be in Firenze, but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten my roots. Although since I am so in love with this city, I am about ready to become an ex-pat. Hmmm, hope the government doesn’t read this…

Anyways, this blog is getting a bit long, and I am bitter because I have had to type it up twice since I stupidly lost it the first time. I think it may have been better the first time actually. This one’s a little more random. As is my mind. CIAO!

No comments: