Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Miss Understood

These are a few conversations that I have had with my youth over the past few months. Unfortunately these are direct quotes. Enjoy reading what I get to listen to on a daily basis. Welcome to my life.

Marcknal: "Miss, why does your hair look like that?"
Me: "Like what?"
Marcknal: "Like, all....yellow."
Me: "I think I was born with 'yellow' hair."
Marcknal: "What? That's impossible. It looks fake."
Me: "Well, thank you. But, what color hair were you born with?"
Marcknal: "I wasn't born with hair!"


Jasmine: "Miss, do you have a man?"
Me: "No."
Jasmine: "Oh, that's because you're fat and ugly."
Me: "Thank you for your honesty. And for reinforcing my junior high insecurities."


Valerry: "Miss, what are you?"
Me: "What do you mean?"
Valerry: "Like, are you Haitian, Cuban, Salvadoran? What are you?"
Me: "I'm Texan."
Valerry: "GurlBeFo'Real."


Me: "I smell like a campfire!"
Yamilet: "Miss, that is NOT what you smell like."
Me: "Then what do I smell like?"
Yamilet: "Something BAD."


Tiger: "Miss, where you from?"
Me: "Texas."
Tiger: "What's that?"


Kevelyn: "Miss, aren't you from China? Do you eat pandas there?"
Me: "I don't know, I'm from Korea. We eat rice."
Kevelyn: "Ohhhh."
(And yes...I have given up on attempting to fight the fact that my kids think I look Chinese.)


Alait: "Miss, were you with your girlfriend on New Year's Eve?"
Me: "Yes, I was with my girlfriends on New Year's."
Alait: "WHAT?! You're a lesbian??"
Me: "What? No...you call your friends girlfriends."
Alait: "Who calls their friends girlfriends?"
Me: "Lots of people." (Thinking that I should insert "My grandmother, for example...")
Alait: "Like girls who date other girls?"
Me: "Nevermind."


Stephanie: "Miss, THAT'S your car?"
Me: "Yes. Do you like it?"
Stephanie: "No. Does it actually make it here from Miami??"
Me: "What?! It's a good car! And I'm standing here, aren't I? So I must have made it from Miami?"
Stephanie: "Is it going to make it back to Miami?"
Me: "I don't know..."


Brunia: "Miss, how many people do you live with?"
Me: "Four."
Brunia: "Oh. Five girls in a house must suck."
Me: "No, two of them are boys."
Brunia: "Isn't it a sin to live with a boy before you are married?"
Me: "Well, I'm not dating both of them!"
Brunia: "Oh, so which one ARE you dating?"


Mike: "Miss, you eas'in' me?!"
Me: "No..."
Mike: "Yes you is."
Me: "Yeah...I don't actually know what that means."


You truly have to admire kids. For their blunt honesty if nothing else...

1 comment:

Luke Rembold said...

these all just brought instant happiness to my heart. :)