Thursday, December 25, 2008

A funny thing happened on my way home from the art show...

So, Thursday night, the last night of classes, I had a final art show at a restaurant in downtown Florence. Mauro ended up going with Christy and I to view our work. The show went great, and it meant alot that Mauro could come and share this experience with us. BUT. On the way home, Mauro asked us to wait outside a shop because he wanted to go inside and buy some chocolates because that particular shop had the "best chocolates in Florence" (he was right...) Anyways, so Christy and I are sitting on a bench, all dressed up and bundled up in our nice overcoats, just waiting. A man walks up and kind of gives me a strange look, which I happen to see out of the corner of my eye, but I just ignore him, because that's just Florence. Well, he starts digging through his wallet, and I assume he's looking for money to go buy some chocolate. Instead, once he finds what he is looking for, he walks up to me, and without saying a word presses a small coin into my hand, closes my hand around it, and walks away around the corner. I look at Christy, astonished. When I look, I realize he has given me a 20 Euro cent coin. Why? I have no idea. Was it a down payment? Did I look homeless? Was it a complement? I may never know. But, it made me sit and wonder for the rest of the night what this could possibly mean. I think I might start doing this in America. because, regardless of the meaning behind it all, it makes people think and wonder. And I kind of like that! :)

No comments: