Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Project Runway and Secret Tunnels

Even though it’s already Monday, I will fill everyone in on the on goings of last week since I have some catching up to do…I will split these into two blogs so it is easier to read because a lot more happened this past weekend than in the last week.

Last week was fairly uneventful.  I really love going out in the evenings here because there is always something going on.  On Tuesday night we ended up meeting some friends at the Lion’s Fountain, an English pub here – SO un-Italian of us…  They were having a guitar hero contest, which I obviously would have one if I had thought to enter.  Haha…some of you know of my amazing Guitar Hero skillz.  Anyways, we only stayed a few minutes at the Lion’s Fountain, because we are attempting to immerse ourselves in the Italian culture, not the British one.  So, we ended up back at our staple, the Jazz Club.  It was blues night, so basically whoever wanted to play could get up there and bust out some blues.  There was one group of boys who looked as though they couldn’t be older than 13 playing some of the best blues I have heard in a while.  It was pretty funny.  They left a little before 10, because we figured it was a school night.

 

Graphic design on Thursday was a ton of fun.  We are designing word art to be incorporated into the menu at a local restaurant.  We are also designing the menus for a special art show called “Food ‘N Art,” which I aptly renamed FnA…  But we are having a contest and whoever’s they like best is going to get to be the actual menu.  We are basically playing Project Runway, so my teacher keeps walking around saying “Just make it work.”  Haha…Jessie. 

Friday morning we got to tour the Vissarian Corridor, which is a long hallway essentially, that connects Pitti Palace to the town hall.  Pitti Palace was originally supposed to be built for the Pitti family, (hence the name) but then they ran out of money and the palace remained half finished before the Medici family came into power and finished it.  One of the Medici’s built the corridor as a gift for his bride, and now you apparently have to pay a lot to receive a tour of it all, or you just have to know the right people! J  This corridor was a way for the Medici family to walk safely from their house to their private art museum, the Uffizi, and then to the town hall.  Essentially, they never had to come into contact with the commoners, but they were also able to keep tabs on the workers below.  It was a really cool tour, and we finally got to begin looking at all the Uffizi has to offer.  Now the corridor is filled with self portraits from 17th century painters and some more recent artists.  There was a Chagall self portrait which was my favorite.  But I just loved that I got to do something that I wouldn’t have normally seen had I just been on vacation here.

1 comment:

colleen.shattuck said...

I'm so excited for this trip! It will be so great to see you and have you be our tour guide and show us all the cool spots...like Jazz Club and all! I'm buying a new camera just so I can continue to be a lousy no talent photographer but look good trying!